Monday, October 27, 2008

Earthy beans

Kale and chard in the home garden


The bean bins at Phipps Ranch in Pescadero


African-style beans
   sauteed onions, dried apricots, raisins, red bell peppers
   olive oil and African curry
   tomato paste and water
   cooked pinto beans
   ribboned chard and kale
   salt



Hi Winnie and Steve,

I'm realizing that this Fall season has a bit more activity than previous years.  I was all set to sink down into my books, and tea and morning fires.  I have to say I do these things in the very early hours of the day, but since taking the Winter Vegetable Class I notice I am putting more effort into my garden this October than previous Octobers.  This is both different and satisfying.  Since there have been no rains yet (uh-oh), the coming of the rains will create a different pace also.  In an effort to get better germination for the winter vegetables, I have been covering the seedlings with something called Remay -- a very light cloth that keeps the seedlings a tad warmer, protects them from the birds, and helps the soil stay a bit moister for those directly sown seeds.  It may be too early to say how all the vegetables will fare, but my spinach crop is really wonderful. 

I still have kale and chard going which I use virtually every day in meals.  Sometimes when I am throwing a meal together and the cupboard is a bit bare, I come up with a dish we end up really liking and repeating.  While beginning a bean dish the other day, I was sauteeing the usual onions and wondering what else I might throw in before the cooked beans.  I reached for the dried apricots and raisins and tossed them in with the onions.  A lovely spice called Curry African Style made it earthy and sumptuous.  

Your style of life has always been very basic and admirable.  We saw a good article about being more self-reliant in these volatile economic times.  These are things I imagine the two of you have done most of your life.

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: