Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bakers and Brunches

The fresh bread, butter and jam of Companion Bakers


Jessie Phillips, Erin Justus and Christy Parker of Companion Bakers


A communal table enjoying brunch



Hi Winnie and Steve,

Hard to believe it is 2009 now.  2009 started with a very nice brunch.  But, I should give some context by saying the more I cook and bake, the more I also appreciate eating food that is prepared for me.  I have friends who are good cooks, and I always look forward to their food.  I see the gift in this food more than ever.  We went to a great brunch last weekend in the charming roadside barn at Pie Ranch.  The entire brunch was prepared and served by Companion Bakers -- a small independent bakery headed by Erin Justus.  She takes her fresh baked goods to farmer's markets, and some find her bread in their weekly CSA box.  Erin and her team decided to start the year with this lovely communal meal.

Now, I am just starting to have a bit of confidence in my bread making. So, when I get to be the guest and taste lovely bread, butter,  jam, scones, gallettes and fritattas -- I sink into the pleasure of eating  this freshly prepared food.  I guess Erin inspired me because I came home and roasted a big winter squash and made a pumpkin pie -- with a Sonora wheat crust of course.  Remember, we have 28,000 lbs. of Sonora wheat in our barn!  The day with Companion Bakers was filled with generosity and good spirit.  I continue to be inspired by these young farmers -- Erin came out of the Farming Program at UCSC -- and their lifestyle.  They demonstrate a belief that richness in life can be achieved without having to be rich.  I know you would be touched by this thought and believe it yourselves.

As always, thinking of you.  Love, Donna

No comments: