Thursday, September 4, 2008

Tomatoes and basil -- a classic taste

Basil


Summer Salad
     basmati rice
     black beans
     thinly sliced basil and arugula
     marinated olives
     ripe tomatoes
     feta cheese
     vinaigrette




Hi Winnie and Steve,

I was remembering one of the times we did a weekend retreat, and it was so warm.  I think we were making salads for everyone in the old kitchen of a conference center.  We were trying for ease of preparation without using stoves since it was already so hot.  We probably felt a bit miserable at one level, but I recall lots of good camaraderie in the kitchen.  Do you remember how we would try to figure out how much food was needed for the group?  Then we would haul all those boxes of food into a bare-bones facility.  I somehow was thinking of those times with lots of heat since it was very warm here today.  Normally we don't get very warm weather here on the coast.  I think it's the warmest summer I recall -- or maybe I should say the sunniest summer I can recall.  We even put the board back in the small cement barrier on our little creek by the house. This creates a very shallow pool.  The old black Lab dog appreciates a place to cool off on days like this.

One of the nice things with the heat I guess is the really tasty ripe tomatoes coming into season. Our season here is probably just a bit on the later side. Remember when I wrote to you about food sharing?  Well, as it turns out, T. came by today with a bag full of tomatoes from his garden, and I am barely exaggerating when I say he also brought onions about the size of melons! Having tomatoes around the house feels like striking gold.  Add basil to the mix and that classic taste is so wonderful.

Since you wanted to make a simple uniform once, I know you will enjoy this quote by Henry David Thoreau -- "Beware of activities that require new clothes."

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: