Friday, September 12, 2008

Kale -- a good producer

Dinosaur kale in the garden


A Kale Sautee
     basmati rice
     dinosaur kale
     kohlrabi
     bell peppers
     carrots
     onions
     raisins



Hi Winnie and Steve,

Are you familiar with dinosaur kale?  Sometimes it is called lacinato or black Tuscan kale. Anyway, I think it is my favorite of the kales although I enjoy them all.  It is a great winter crop here as well as summer.  As a beginning gardener, I really like its taste and nutrition -- remember Michael Pollan says -- Eat food. Not too much.  Mostly plants.


The fog started coming in a few days ago and cooled us off once again.  I have to admit that I was ready for some cooling down even though the sunshine is so glorious most of the time.  One of the things I really enjoy here at the ranch is the opportunity to see some animals of the wild.  Sometimes just hearing about sightings from others can be exciting.  Up above our ranch nearby, one of the neighbors spotted a mountain lion which has to be thrilling -- especially from a safe vantage point!  I hope to have this experience some day.  Almost any time I want, I can see a barn owl in the big barn owl box that hangs off the back of our barn.  The box has two large openings where the owls can enter, and I can usually spot one of their faces looking out at me.  Our grandson was in the garden over the weekend with his dad and they called me over.  A very large adult gopher snake was in the garden and slithered off.  We always look carefully since the gopher snake looks amazingly like a rattle snake except the head is different.  

Just a parting thought with a quote I read recently.  

"I am done with great things and big things, great institutions and big success, and I am for those tiny invisible molecular moral forces that work from individual to individual by creeping through the crannies of the world like so many rootlets.  Wm. James" 

I noticed the difference in my response between watching the world news and the hopeful feeling after the potluck with our young local organic farmers.

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: