Thursday, July 3, 2008

Accidental vindaloo?

Indian potatoes
   sauteed potatoes, onions, kale and peas
   olive oil and ghee
   stewed tomatoes
   turmeric, fenugreek, garam masala, cumin, red chilies, salt


Hi Steve,

I was thinking of you tonight as I made dinner because I knew I was going to use Indian spices -- which I love by the way.   I recall you being fond of the food in India.  My neighbor asked , "Would you have an interest in sharing some authentic Indian spices that a friend gave me?"  Of course I was interested.  M. brought them by today in tiny little bags -- the colors are beautiful.  I don't even know how to blend them.  But if there is going to be an "accidental" concoction, I can't think of anything more flavorful to experiment with than Indian spices.  I pulled out the turmeric, cumin, red chilies, fenugreek and garam masala.  When this got mixed together with the potatoes, etc. I could have eaten two plates full!  I wish I could remember what I did.

As I recall after your cavalry training here in the States, you went off to India with the horses and mules.  I vaguely remember tales of taking the mules packed with supplies up through Burma toward China.  That endeavor represents the tales of another world now long gone. When I went to India last time, you were thrilled to be anticipating my observations and stories upon my return -- a conversation that alas was not to be.

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: