Thursday, July 10, 2008

Risotto

The various whole grains on the shelf


Carnaroli Risotto
   sauteed onion in olive oil
   dry vermouth
   water
   parmigiano reggiano cheese
   roasted asparagus pieces
   butter, salt



Hi Winnie and Steve,

I remember calling you late one afternoon, and you said, "We just got home and I am putting a fast dinner on the table -- vegetables over a waffle."  I teased you a bit and said, "Is that a whole grain waffle?"  I should talk since there are definitely times when I thoroughly enjoy a more refined taste.  As my mom is Italian, she often would make a risotto for dinner -- she used a tomato base and small pieces of chicken liver.  I'm guessing that was a northern regional approach to the dish.  While I have lots of whole grains in jars on my kitchen shelf, I also have a jar with carnaroli rice -- an arborio-style rice that is very well suited for risotto.

My friend J. just returned from Italy and stopped by to talk about his trip.  It wasn't long before we were primarily talking about food  -- gnocchi, sardines and of course risotto.  He told me, "You almost always have to order risotto for two, and now that costs about $50."  Isn't that something!  By the time he left I was thinking a lot about risotto and pulled the carnaroli jar out of the back part of the cupboard.  With some asparagus and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese I was well on my way to dinner that night.  I guess those Italian genes get awakened to particular dishes.

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: