Monday, July 21, 2008

A bounty of berries

Ollalieberries in the garden


Ollalieberry jam
   ollaliberries
   organic sugar

Hi Winnie and Steve,

Here on the coast, everyone is enjoying berries and eating as many as possible.  There are several U-Pick farms nearby.  I heard someone say that these farms are so popular during berry season that they are getting "picked out."  I told you about eating the tiny wild blackberries on the trail.  Now we are moving over to the garden berries.  When my mom moved from her home (she was well into her 90's), my brother-in-law kindly dug up her ollalieberry vines and gave me some.  They are in my garden.  They are LOADED this year.  I should have taken the photo before I picked, but I didn't think of it -- these are the berries left behind from today's picking!  All the really black plump berries went into the big pot for jam making.

The kids were here the other day.  They picked berries in the garden which they love to do.  They then went over to the side of the barn where there is a pile of logs waiting to be cut up into firewood.  I noticed the kids climbed up on the logs and straddled them like horses.  Then facing each other and swinging their legs, they ate fresh berries right from the bowl.  They looked so natural enjoying the simple pleasure of the berries -- heartwarming to watch them.

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: