Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Greens

Brussel sprouts


Brussel sprout sautee
sauteed onions, brussel sprouts, carrots
cooked Gigande beans
cooked wild rice mixture
olive oil, salt, pepper



Hi Winnie and Steve,

Well, we're getting that rain we needed which is great for the plants. Rainy weather is challenging, to say the least, since we have three dogs -- three nice muddy dogs.  We still do the hike each day so their bellies have a mixture of mud and grit.  I'm trying to remember how you dealt with winter with your dog?  I have a vague recollection that you tied a long line to his collar so he could roam off the front steps -- I'm now wondering if that was an effort to keep him somewhat clean in the winter.  Right now, I could understand that 100%.

When I think back to my original thought about grains, beans and greens, I realize how important a variety of greens is to me.  Right now things are getting to be "slim pickin's " out in the garden.  Yet with almost any meal that is being prepared, I think to myself "What greens will I add?"  So fortunately, there is still some Curly Blue Kale and Bright Lights Chard and King Noble Spinach.  A local farmer grows brussel sprouts, and I found some in town the other day -- uncommon to see them on the stalk.

The new garden is now entirely fenced, and I am eager for the time to get into it with the shaping of new beds and the planting of new seeds.  I wonder, "Is it way too big?  Will it be too much food for the two of us?"  But this quote from Gardening at the Dragon's Gate reassures me.

"Give with gift-bestowing hands to the lonely and the stranger,
to wandering gardeners and to old friends.  For the benefit of
all beings, give the harvest away."

Thinking of you.  Donna

No comments: