Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pantries


The Pantry -- corn for polenta


Polenta with vegetables
  sauteed onions and carrots
   brussel sprouts
   tomato paste
  paprika, oregano, salt and pepper
  olive oil



Hi Winnie and Steve,

We've been fortunate enough to have many nice sunny days, but the mornings are quite cold with frost.  I feel a little guilty saying "quite cold" when I know how Maine can be in the winter!  It is cold enough that I know planting seeds is out of the question, and yet I am in the middle of getting the new garden space laid out.  I spent an evening looking over seed offerings online -- the possible things we enjoy eating for the months ahead.  The greens and vegetables I have are getting more sparse -- the kale hangs in there and of course chard and romaine plus a few others.  So, I turn to the pantry quite a bit, and I am remembering the corn more and grinding some for polenta -- always a great winter dish.

While a good many projects are going on right now at the ranch, I am also aware that a momentum can build with the desire to get more done -- such a fine balance to maintain.  I saw a quote that was lovely in terms of allowing the mind and body to sink into slowness or repose.

I have done without electricity and tend the fireplace and
stove myself.  Evenings I light the old lamps.  There is no
running water and I pump water from the well.  I chop the
wood and cook the food.  These simple acts make man simple;
and how difficult it is to be simple.

Carl Jung

No comments: