Thursday, December 4, 2008

Winter Squash Encores

Whole roasted Musque de Provence


The deep orange flesh of Musque de Provence


Musque de Provence Bisque
     roasted Musque de Provence squash
     sauteed onions and dried apricots
     water, and a dab of cream (optional)
     all pureed
     drizzle with walnut oil and parsely and salt



Hi Winnie and Steve,

This morning we had a frost.  The top of the picnic tables out in the garden, the truck roof and the house roof were all covered with a frost.  When you live in coastal California, that is about the closest you are going to get to a winter wonderland as we head into the Christmas season.  I recall being in your farm house in Maine during the winter.  The icicles hung off the rain gutters and would drip during the daylight hours.  We slept in your upstairs bedroom that was tiny and cozy under the rafters.  I recall the quilts and the old house being a bit cold in the winter.  We jumped in that bed and tried to warm ourselves under the covers with our warm breath.  You guys were so used to these conditions.  I remember you being in nice heavy sweaters and corduroy pants -- very practical, which was one of the characteristics I so admired about New Englanders.

I was practical too with the winter squash from the last post -- we used the last of it up tonight. This was the very large Musque de Provence.  I even measured it to make sure it was going to fit whole in my AGA oven -- just barely.  The squash was 13" across.  I'm not sure about the weight, but it roasted up just fine. Since friends were visiting, it was the perfect time to tackle such a large squash. The first night it was prepared as winter squash bisque. Today at lunch it was a mashed bed of squash flesh with spiced beans and greens on top.  At dinner tonight it was cubed into the risotto.  And the last of it was mixed with eggs, milk and spices for a dessert.  Phew!  So, maybe I did learn some good practicality from my lovely New England friends.  

As a beginner gardener, I am struck by how long it takes to grow a vegetable -- except for a radish.  This squash was so special that I will definitely plant it next spring, yet it takes 125 days for maturity!

Lots of love.  Donna 

No comments: