Monday, May 26, 2008

The beauty of beets



Beet Salad

   roasted beets
   ribbons of chard
   mandarin segments
   roasted walnuts
   olive oil and a good balsamic
   salt 

Hi Winnie and Steve,

I was trying to recall what the end of May was like weather wise in Maine.  Coming out of mud season?  Of course it wasn't May, but do you remember the time I was taking a photo of you guys in front of your old farm house.  There were so many icicles hanging from the rain gutter. We were laughing and breaking them off, and I was snapping photos while you held the icicles like swords -- a fun moment.  You probably picture California as warm -- certainly by May. 
But, there is a famous quote attributed to Mark Twain that goes -- "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."  Yes, here near the coast we have learned to dress in layers.   Although we did have a nice sunny day this Memorial Day when we went to our neighbor's barbecue.  I took a beet salad as my contribution since I have good beets in the garden right now.  I'm never sure if people are going to like beets, but they must because the salad was completely gone when I went to get my dish out of the kitchen.

You know I am not a recipe person.  I think we have talked about that before.  Well, there is one exception -- baking.  But I cannot tell you the last time I followed a recipe other than baking.  It's more my inclination to look at what is in the refrigerator, garden or pantry and then ask myself the question, "What could I make with these things?"  If it were the other way around, and I followed a recipe, I think going off to buy ingredients in my rural setting would dampen my enthusiasm.  But primarily I think my nature is just to have an idea about a dish. Gene says cooking style might be similar to the difference between classical music and jazz -- both are so wonderful.  I think I am more of a jazz cook -- if you know what I mean -- anything can happen.

That doesn't mean I don't totally enjoy a great cookbook to browse, or a good food magazine or other sources for dishes.  Usually what these do is trigger ideas or inspire me.  An acquaintance who works in a very nice kitchen gourmet shop recommended a great website for tasty vegetarian dishes, and I have felt inspired by her food  -- especially the photos.  It is called 101 Cookbooks.  It is just wonderful.  I have viewed many food websites, but 101 Cookbooks is quite special.  I resonate with her ideas -- and she gives recipes which is very helpful to those who like that approach.

Thinking of you this Memorial Day.  Donna

No comments: