Friday, May 23, 2008

Whole Grain Bread


                                             My last batch of Desem

Hi Winnie and Steve,

We've had many wonderful walks and hikes together, but one of my favorite walks with you was the hour or so we spent walking into Jordan Pond.  I recall thinking, "Could I ever remember this route if Steve and Winnie were not with me?"  It seemed like there were so many little turn-offs on the dirt road.  Well, I guess that doesn't matter since we always did the walk together.  I have to admit that one of the fun things about that walk was also the popovers, butter, jam and tea I knew awaited us at the Jordan Pond Lodge.  Weren't they just the best!

While my mouth would water at the thought of actually having that treat again, I have truly fallen for the taste and wonder of baking with whole grain.  Again, I think my learning from nutrition school tuned me into the health reasons for whole grain.  Many carbohydrates eaten are so refined that they quickly spike blood sugar levels -- not so when the whole grain is used. We visited friends in France last year who have a wonderful family farm and basically eat all fresh and whole products.  We even got the treat of fresh milk directly from their cow.  I was given a lesson in making 100% whole wheat bread, and I just fell completely for the process and taste.  I have now been baking whole grain bread for a year.  I buy the wheat berries and grind them in my small stone mill over in the barn.  Gene has started growing wheat in the fields across the road, but that is a story for a later time.

The loaves are getting pretty consistent, and we really enjoy them.  Two have become my favorite.  Yes, they do take time -- but they also bring a nice feeling of calm to the food process. In a fast-moving world this can be a nice antidote if one is inclined.  One favorite is the Desem Bread in Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book -- although other recipes in the book are a shorter process.  My other favorite is Barm Bread as developed by Monica Spiller.  She even has a wonderful little kit with freeze-dried starter available to get you going.  I admit, these are for those of us who really enjoy bread baking.  But, I guess that can happen to anyone since it happened to me. 

No comments: