Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What are the implications?



Cannelini Bean Salad
   cannelini beans
   wild rice
   chopped chard
   roasted carrots
   sauteed garlic scapes
   vinaigrette

Hi Winnie and Steve,

An acquaintance who attended Bauman College as I did sent me a link to a very interesting video presentation.  I was familiar with the speaker -- his name is Mark Bittman.  The first time I learned of Mark Bittman was spotting his column in the New York Times when he wrote about a vegetarian tomato paella.  I tried it and loved it.  The second time he crossed my radar was when I read that he had published a book called How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.  I was rather fascinated by this since I knew from his column he was not a vegetarian.  Then my nutrition school acquaintance sent me a link to this video presentation -- it turns out to be Mark Bittman.  He speaks to the global implications of the amount of meat we eat, and how we should be seriously considering being semi-vegetarians.  I thought the video presentation was provocative.  The presentation topic is "What's Wrong With What We Eat."

I remember on one of your trips out here you went to E.'s house, and she was so proud to give you a big steak for dinner.  I must say you guys were very gracious or good sports or whatever you want to call it.  You never mentioned a word that you were vegetarians.  I used to feel more like E. about giving a guest meat when they came for a meal.  It felt like being generous or abundant in an offering.  This view is slowly changing for me.  I now feel more comfortable offering someone a meal like the bean dish above with some other elements added -- like homemade bread, olives, cheese -- and who can resist a little dessert or fruit.

Much love to you.  Donna

No comments: