Monday, May 26, 2008

Still time for asparagus

Asparagus and Egg
   spelt kernels or rice
   roasted asparagus spears
   egg
   olive oil, salt, pepper

                                                  

Asparagus Sandwich

   two slices of whole wheat bread
   egg salad
   roasted asparagus spears
   salt and pepper


Hi Winnie and Steve,

I just finished reading such a good book.  It is Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring by Marcel Pagnol.  Really it is two stories combined in a single bound volume.  I had seen the movies twice, and the two stories fit together for a compelling tale.  I saw the movies as recently as last year.  So, it was unusual that I still got the book, but I liked it every bit as much as the movies.  Did we talk about these movies?  The story takes place in a small village in France, and a major character is Jean the hunchback who has a deep emotional response to the little farm he inherits from his mother.  He is so filled with love for the land, his small tile-roofed farm house and dreams of a life in nature. He tells his neighbor that he has come to the farm to "cultivate the authentic" -- a saying I find thought provoking.  Everything he views looks wonderful and romantic to him -- even the thistles which he gathers into bouquets.  At heart he is a poet and artist.  But of course, wouldn't you know, it is also a tale with a dark side of deceit and greed, and Jean's dreams will come under assault.

In the hills around the village of this story, people often forage for herbs and wild asparagus in the spring.  I don't think I have ever seen wild asparagus, but it seems like it would be fun to hunt for out in the wilds.  In addition to the spring asparagus, the peasants of the village in the story also raise chick peas and tomatoes.  They often have goats and make little rounds of cheese.  So you can see, it is very basic and simple although I'm sure very hard work in every way.  But, it was the asparagus hunting I was remembering at this time.  

Right now I am still seeing asparagus at the farmer's market.  It will be gone soon -- so I like to get it each time I go to market knowing that fact.  I did try growing it a few years ago in my garden.  A well tended asparagus bed can last for years they say.  But, I didn't have enough experience to really nurture it along as needed.  The production dropped in a few years and the spears got very spindly, and I eventually dug up the crowns.  Yet there is a joy each time I see asparagus in the spring.  A beautiful reminder of a yearly cycle.

Thinking of you guys.  Donna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good asparagus sandwich